Oven Temp: 375 degrees
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 (10 ounce) cans red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cooked and diced (recipe below)
- 6 ounce bag fresh baby spinach
- 1 roasted chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro + more for garnish
- 3 cups (8 ounces) corn tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
Roasted Sweet Taters
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk BBQ sauce, enchilada sauce, and cumin together – set aside.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil then add the onions and cook until transparent (about 5 minutes) add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and add 1½ cups of enchilada sauce, sweet potatoes, spinach, chicken, and ¼ cup cilantro; fold together until just chicken is coated with sauce.
Place 1/4 cup of the remaining BBQ/enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Top with ½ the chicken/sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of crushed tortilla chips and cover with 1/2 cup of cheese and about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce; repeat layers once and finish with remaining tortilla chips, sauce and cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes or until warmed through and cheese is completely melted. Cool a few minutes, garnish with extra cilantro.
* Freezer tip: For best results, cover and place casserole dish in the freezer right after last layer of cheese is added. Thaw casserole completely before baking.
Lay the sweet potatoes out in a single layer on a sheet pan. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with cayenne, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
Roast for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender.