Oven Temp: 350 degrees
- 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ciabatta rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 pound roasted deli turkey, thick slices
- Caramelized onions (recipe below)
- 10 ounces Smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup arugula pesto (recipe below)
- 1 small bag arugula (2 cups for pesto, plus garnish)
- 2 cups of packed arugula leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of walnuts, toasted
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
Combine the arugula, salt, walnuts, garlic into a food processor. Pulse while drizzling the olive oil into the processor. Remove the mixture from the processor and put it into a bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- 4 large yellow onions, ¼ inch thick slices
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Once heated add the sliced onion. Coat with oil and cook the onions, stirring occasionally but not frequently. The onions will start to brown over the next 15 minutes or so. Continue cooking, but stir more frequently. Total cook time is about 25-30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
Lightly brush one-side of the ciabatta roll with melted butter. Line the entire bottom of the casserole dish by placing the buttered bread face down.
Spread half of the pesto over the bread in the casserole dish. Then layer with all the sliced turkey then with the caramelized onions. Top with smoked Gouda cheese then arugula.
Spread the remaining ciabatta roll with pesto and place pesto side down on top of the arugula.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until warmed through. Cut at the seams with a knife and serve warm!
*Freezer Tip: For best results, cover with foil and place casserole dish in the freezer after top layer of bread is added. Thaw casserole completely before baking.