Quart bag contains:
1 cup dark brown sugar, slightly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon molasses
Gallon bag contains:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pack with you:
2 chocolate bars that you were saving for s’mores (approx. 3 oz each) or 1 cup choc chips
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, frozen & stored in cooler (or RV fridge)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1. In a quart size freezer slide-lock bag, add 1 cup dark brown sugar, ½ cup granulated white sugar. Mix well together. Make a well in the center of sugars and pour in 2 tsp of vanilla extract and 1 tsp molasses. Pack sugar around liquid, so it does not stick to plastic bag.
2. In a large bowl, whisk thoroughly 2 1/4 cups All-purpose flour (or use a mix of bread flour & A/P flour) with 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp baking soda. Place the flour mixture into a gallon size freezer slide-lock bag.
3. Pack these two bags with your chocolate for your trip, along with a baking pan and parchment paper.
4. To make the cookies on-site, you will need 2 sticks of unsalted butter and 2 large eggs.
5. When you’re ready to make cookies, brown 1 stick of butter in a small pot over medium heat. The butter will bubble up as the water evaporates, become fragrant, and brown bits will form in the bottom. Once browned, about 6-8 minutes total, remove from heat before it burns. Allow it to cool for 20 minutes. Then add 1 stick of room temp butter to the pan.
6. Mix butters together, then add contents of bag of sugar. Stir together in pot. Mixture may be warm-ish, but NOT hot. If too hot, allow to cool before going further.
7. Add 1 egg and 1 egg yolk to pot, stir until combined.
8. Open gallon bag of flour mixture and pour contents of pot into bag. Seal bag and smoosh all ingredients together until a soft cookie dough forms.
9. Chop chocolate bars into chunks or use chocolate chips and add to cookie dough.
10. Preheat oven to 350°F.
11. Scoop the dough in 1 or 2 tablespoon-sized balls onto baking pan lined with parchment paper.
12. Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove from the oven, and allow them to cool on the baking pan for at least 5 minutes before removing them.
Makes about 24 large (3") or 32 (2”) cookies.