8 oz bag of uncooked quinoa (about 1/3 cup)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ cups pineapple chunks (fresh or frozen work best)
1 small green pepper (chopped)
1 ½ cups shredded carrots
2/3 cup sliced almonds
2/3 cup sesame vinaigrette salad dressing (whatever brand you prefer)
1 large head lettuce (butter or iceberg work best)
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan, then add the pineapple, green pepper, and shredded carrots. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a tablespoon or two of water, and cover and simmer on lowest setting for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered until quinoa is done cooking.
- Wash the lettuce thoroughly, and carefully pull large leaves from the head, washing each one individually. Lay them out individually to dry. Once dried, stack them up on the side of a serving plate.
- Once quinoa is done, combine everything together including remaining ingredients. Add more dressing if desired.
- Serve warm on the same serving plate with the lettuce leaves.
- NOTE: This also makes an excellent side salad when it’s chilled. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and high in nutritional value.